“Te Ara o” means “Pathway Of” in Te Reo Maori. Motutawa Pa was previously located in the grounds of Avalon Park. This pa belonged to the Ngati Tama hapu of Ngati Awa. Ngati Tama left the area in 1846 after an agreement with Governor George Grey promised them new reserves further up the Hutt Valley. The land was […]
Named in memory of Brian David Morgan, a contractor and developer and the original developer of this land with his wife Judith. They lived in Wainuiomata for more than 50 years, where they raised two sons, Gary & Wayne. Brian surveyed the drainage and laid the groundworks for this piece of land. Brian passed away […]
Named after Ron Fawcett. The Fawcett family members first arrived in New Zealand in 1842 onboard the Thomas Harrison. Ron Fawcett was a milkman for 26 years, and the bowling club’s first greenkeeper, organised many events and raised money for the club’s extension. Ron and his wife Jean Fawcett settled in Fraser Street in 1958. […]
Named after “Jane Grace”. She was an active member of the community, school activities and the women’s institute. She was also the client of the sub developments late mother.
Kauamo was the wife of Joseph Robinson, who had been in NZ since 1823. Together this couple lived and raised a family in Waiwhetu. Joe Robinson had a well-established shipbuilding business on the Hutt River near the Waiwhetu Pa. It is recorded that William Wakefield was somewhat surprised to find an Englishman already living here […]
Named after Wi Hapi Pakau, the Te Ati Awa Chief. He belonged to Ngati Te Whiti and Te Matehou hapu of Te Ati Awa. He was born in 1797 and died 22 April 1897. Wi Hapi Pakau is buried at Owhiti Urupa, Seaview. Wi Hapi Pākau fought at the defence of Otaka in 1832 against […]
Sir William Fitzherbert was a Hutt member on the Wellington Provincial Council from 1859 to 1865 and was also a member of the House of Representatives for Hutt from 1858 – 1879. After arriving in New Zealand they settled in Wellington. They later moved to Willow Bank a house in Lower Hutt and entertained parliamentarians there […]
Robert Stokes was one of the original survey party which arrived on the “Cuba” ship on 3 January 1840. He worked about Port Nicholson for some months before surveying further afield. He later took a prominent part in local and national affairs. Further Information He was born in England about 1810 and trained as a […]
Previously named Cottle’s Lane. John and Marion Walters and five children arrived in the “Slains Castle” in 1841 and lived in the area.
Named after Alfred Ludlam, a landowner in Woburn in 1845. Ludlam’s Gardens eventually became McNab’s then Bellevue. He was a local member of the Wellington Provincial Council 1853-61, 1865-76, General Assembly 1853-56, 1866-70, and ‘father” of the Wellington Botanic Garden. He had purchased the Waiwhetū farm from fellow pioneer Francis Molesworth in the mid-1840s, calling […]