Named after Harcourt Chenoweth Werry a Lower Hutt City Councillor from 1950-86, the longest serving in this local authority. He was twice Deputy Mayor 1962-68 and 1974-77, had long spells on Town Planning and Works and Drainage Committees and chaired both at times. He was also on Drainage Board, Hutt River Board and Wellington Regional Council. […]
Percy Cameron lived in one of the few houses on the site of the present Fraser Park. He was Chief Clerk of the Wellington Meat Export Company located in Ngauranga.
Name after John and Elizabeth Pike who lived opposite Taita School (now the Avalon Intermediate site). John was a carter there in 1863. John Pyke died at his residence, at the age of 66 on 18 August 1903. The late Mr Pyke was one of our earliest pioneer settlers, and one of those who in the early […]
Captain George Compton lived close to Fort Richmond. He won the tender to design and build this stockade in 1845. He donated all the timber for the job. Alfred and John Compton were farmers from 1885-91. He was an early settler in Lower Hutt, arrived in Wellington in 1841. He was also the officer in […]
Named after the Taita Gorge just north of the Stokes Valley entrance. The name Taitā means an “accumulation of logs or driftwood” and such a banking-up would cause the Hutt River to flood. Taita Drive runs north from Stellin Street through the suburb of Taita to join High Street north of Pomare.