Named for Queen Elizabeth II on her first visit to New Zealand. The road was completed in 1953 and the Queen was one of the first people to drive along it.
Te Ara o Te Amo Hohipene is named after Amo Hohipene. She was the mother of Wi Hape Paku Love (Mother-in-law to Ripeka Wharawhara). The new street is a subdivision at 124 Richmond Street, Petone.
Te Ara o Ripeka Wharawhara is named after Rīpeka Wharawhara Love and is a subdivision located at 124 Richmond Street, Petone. Rīpeka Wharawhara was through descent and marriage kin to Te Āti Awa chiefs whose mana continued to extend over the Wellington region after the arrival of Pākehā settlers in 1840. As an heir to […]
Te Ara Nui o Te Rangihaeata is the formal name for Transmission Gully, a 27km motorway opened in March 2022 north of Wellington. It is named after Te Rangihaeata, who was a Ngati Toa chief who signed the Te Tiriti o Waitangi (Treaty of Waitangi) and led the battle at Battle Hill which overlooks this […]
Passes under Melling Bridge and was named by Councillor Frost (a stonemason) after the concrete blocks produced by a firm a little further upstream.
Subdivided in 1960 by Arthur Hugo Peter Petterson and named after his wife, Christina Annabel Petterson.
Francis and his son George Whiteman farmed at Taita having arrived in the “Gertrude” in 1841. In the early 1840s, George and his brother William “discovered” Whiteman’s Valley. William later farmed at Mangaroa at the northern end of Whiteman’s Valley.
Sir Thomas Mason Wilford was M.P. for Hutt for 26 years, and Mayor of Wellington 1909-11. He was leader of the Liberal Opposition in 1919 and later became New Zealand High Commissioner in London. He was a grandson of “Quaker” Mason.
Named after Wiremu Tako Ngātata, of Te Āti Awa, usually known as Wi Tako. He was a chief born around the beginning of the 19th century in Taranaki who migrated south in 1832 with his people to the Cook Strait region. His father signed the Treaty of Waitangi in the Wellington region in April 1840. Wi […]
A name made from the names of two families who owned land either side of Burnton Street in Witako Street, the Benton family and the Burn family. The street was put through in 1946.