Categories
Boulcott, Lower Hutt

Te Ara o Maraenuku

Named after Maraenuku pā, which was built nearby in 1842. No trace of it remains. It was built by Taringa Kuri (Te Kāeaea) to assert the Ngāti Tama iwi’s claim to the land. For its part, the New Zealand Company claimed to have purchased the land from Te Ātiawa. The pā was destroyed by British […]