Named for Queen Elizabeth II on her first visit to New Zealand. The road was completed in 1953 and the Queen was one of the first people to drive along it.
Named after Wiremu Tako Ngātata, of Te Āti Awa, usually known as Wi Tako. He was a chief born around the beginning of the 19th century in Taranaki who migrated south in 1832 with his people to the Cook Strait region. His father signed the Treaty of Waitangi in the Wellington region in April 1840. Wi […]
Father Leo Daly was Roman Catholic Parish Priest from 1924 – 1949 The area of Daly Street was very close to the Catholic property in High Street where the first church was built.
This road led to Bellevue Gardens Hotel on Woburn Road. Thanks to Hutt City Libraries for the following information. The current hotel was built in 1917. The site was part of Bellevue Gardens. The hotel replaced a larger one that was set back from Woburn Road, which was originally known as Waiwhetu or Waiwetu Road. […]
The first development was surveyed for Thomas Burt junior, in 1903 and was known as Bloomfield Road until about 1908 when it was named Myrtle. Who was Myrtle? An early former resident of the street thought it was named after a wife of a councillor of the day. No traceable councillor had a wife named […]
Peter Laing’s house, on the corner of Bloomfield Terrace and Laings Road, was named ”Bloomfield”. It was built in 1848 for Capt. Daniell. The large Norfolk Island pine in the Salvation Army grounds opposite is a relic of Laing’s Gardens. There are several ”Bloomfields” in Scotland, Peter Laing’s country of birth.
Named after Peter Laing, a baker and pastrycook, who bought Captain Daniell’s house which stood at the corner of Bloomfield Terrace and Laings Road.
Named by Richard John Seddon after his boss in an iron factory in Lancashire, William Melling. Seddon also named Normandale.
J.W. Andrews was the first Mayor of Lower Hutt, 1933-47.