Francis and his son George Whiteman farmed at Taita having arrived in the “Gertrude” in 1841. In the early 1840s, George and his brother William “discovered” Whiteman’s Valley. William later farmed at Mangaroa at the northern end of Whiteman’s Valley.
Do you know the origin of Ronalds Way? Get in touch
Early settlers Edward and Ann Biddle and family arrived on the “Catherine Stewart Forbes” ship in February 1841.
Name after John and Elizabeth Pike who lived opposite Taita School (now the Avalon Intermediate site). John was a carter there in 1863. John Pyke died at his residence, at the age of 66 on 18 August 1903. The late Mr Pyke was one of our earliest pioneer settlers, and one of those who in the early […]
Captain George Compton lived close to Fort Richmond. He won the tender to design and build this stockade in 1845. He donated all the timber for the job. Alfred and John Compton were farmers from 1885-91. He was an early settler in Lower Hutt, arrived in Wellington in 1841. He was also the officer in […]
Named after the Taita Gorge just north of the Stokes Valley entrance. The name Taitā means an “accumulation of logs or driftwood” and such a banking-up would cause the Hutt River to flood. Taita Drive runs north from Stellin Street through the suburb of Taita to join High Street north of Pomare.
George Hunter held the New Zealand Company office of Storekeeper General. He opened thè first general store in the settlement of Britannia in 1840, in partnership with K. Bethune. George Hunter was the first Mayor of Wellington in 1842. His son, also George Hunter (1821-80), owned 7 acres in the Hutt in 1858. Robert Hunter […]