Sir William Fitzherbert was a Hutt member on the Wellington Provincial Council from 1859 to 1865 and was also a member of the House of Representatives for Hutt from 1858 – 1879. After arriving in New Zealand they settled in Wellington. They later moved to Willow Bank a house in Lower Hutt and entertained parliamentarians there […]
In 1897 Robert L. Laery, a Wellington merchant, bought seven acres which was former Fitzherbert land. It was bounded by Parliament, Bridge, Herbert Streets and Main Road (Railway Avenue). After his death in 1902 it was subdivided into 39 lots, Laery Street running through the middle of it.
Named after Richard Rush who was murdered with a tomahawk while working on his land (near Station Village) on 15th June 1846, the day before the attacks at Boulcott Farm. ”Rush’s Corner” was opposite the Valley Inn on the corner of Railway Avenue and Marsden Street. Richard Rush arrived in Wellington around 1840 after serving […]
Alice was the daughter of William A. Fitzherbert, Lower Hutt’s first Mayor, and the granddaughter of Sir William Fitzherbert M.P. She married Professor von Zedlitz. She gave her name to Alicetown.