Sir William Fitzherbert was a Hutt member on the Wellington Provincial Council from 1859 to 1865 and was also a member of the House of Representatives for Hutt from 1858 – 1879.
After arriving in New Zealand they settled in Wellington. They later moved to Willow Bank a house in Lower Hutt and entertained parliamentarians there (which may account for the street’s name of “Parliament Street”). The house now has a Historic Places Trust “C” classificationi
He died on 6 February 1891.
His son was William Alfred Fitzherbert, the first Mayor of Lower Hutt, from when Lower Hutt became a borough in 1891 to 1898.
There are several streets in Wainuiomata bearing his name. The peak of the Eastern Hills dividing Naenae and Wainuiomata and its television relay mast is named Mount Fitzherbert.