Named after Harcourt Chenoweth Werry a Lower Hutt City Councillor from 1950-86, the longest serving in this local authority. He was twice Deputy Mayor 1962-68 and 1974-77, had long spells on Town Planning and Works and Drainage Committees and chaired both at times. He was also on Drainage Board, Hutt River Board and Wellington Regional Council. […]
Percy Cameron lived in one of the few houses on the site of the present Fraser Park. He was Chief Clerk of the Wellington Meat Export Company located in Ngauranga.
John Daysh arrived with his wife Eliza in the ”Gertrude” in 1841 and farmed in the Park Avenue/Taita area. He donated the trees for the grounds of Christ Church, Taita, in 1854.
“Te Ara o” means “Pathway Of” in Te Reo Maori. Motutawa Pa was previously located in the grounds of Avalon Park. This pa belonged to the Ngati Tama hapu of Ngati Awa. Ngati Tama left the area in 1846 after an agreement with Governor George Grey promised them new reserves further up the Hutt Valley. The land was […]
Named after “Jane Grace”. She was an active member of the community, school activities and the women’s institute. She was also the client of the sub developments late mother.
Formerly known as Magnolia Crescent in the Mason’s Gardens estate, the name Avalon Crescent was given by subdivider James Stellin in his Avalon Park subdivision. His daughter born a few years earlier had been named Beatrice Avalon Hart Stellin.
Named after James Kingston Stellin, born 1922, only son of Beatrice Hart and James Stellin. He was a small boy when this subdivision took place. The name has royal connotations and in the tenth century several Anglo-Saxon kings were crowned at Kingston-on-Thames. The former royal palace of Hampton Court is nearby. James Stellin was a […]
Named after James Stellin (c.1881-1964), of Melling, was director of a real estate and valuing agency. He was responsible for the subdivision and naming of Avalon (Mason’s Gardens) and Kingston Park areas. A Gallipoli veteran, he built his splendid residence ”Casa Loma” in Melling, completing it in 1911. Nearby Kingston Street is named after his […]