Avery Grove in Avalon is named after the Avery family, who arrived in New Zealand aboard the “Bolton” in 1840. The family consisted of Thomas, Elizabeth, and their children, who hailed from Kent. By the mid-1860s, Thomas had acquired land in Waiwhetu, while his son George farmed in Taita, which is now part of Avalon.
Later on, Thomas also started farming in Taita, and both families remained in the area for many decades. Several members of the Avery family, including Thomas and his wife Elizabeth, are buried at Christ Church in Taita. Thomas passed away on June 20, 1870, and Elizabeth followed in 1877.