Te Ara o Ripeka Wharawhara is named after Rīpeka Wharawhara Love and is a subdivision located at 124 Richmond Street, Petone. Rīpeka Wharawhara was through descent and marriage kin to Te Āti Awa chiefs whose mana continued to extend over the Wellington region after the arrival of Pākehā settlers in 1840. As an heir to […]
Category: Petone, Lower Hutt
Petone, a large suburb of Lower Hutt, stands at the southern end of the Hutt Valley, on the northern shore of Wellington Harbour. The Māori name Pito-one means “end of the sand beach”.
The first European immigrants settled at Pito-one in 1840, and many of the streets have links to this time, such as names of ships that arrived and prominent locals.
Buick Street is likely named after D. Buick who owned 5 1/4 acres of land in Petone in 1852. In September, 1866, a framed group photograph of the band, as reproduced on the next page, was presented to Mr. Valentine, containing the following inscription:— “Presented to Mr. N. Valentine.by the inhabitants of the Hutt District […]
Edwin Jackson arrived in New Zealand in 1857 and settled in Petone in 1868. He set up in business as a farmer and bricklayer. He eventually acquired a substantial block of land in the town which he subsequently subdivided with unsurveyed rights of way, which is the reason why Jackson Street is so crooked in […]
Te Ara o Paetutu
Translates as the “Path of Paetutu”. This street is located near the former site of the Paetutu Pā. The new street name was required following the subdivision of 429 Jackson Street, Petone. The name was adopted by the Hutt City Council on the 17 September 2019 , so may not appear on maps yet.