Captain George Compton lived close to Fort Richmond. He won the tender to design and build this stockade in 1845. He donated all the timber for the job. Alfred and John Compton were farmers from 1885-91.
He was an early settler in Lower Hutt, arrived in Wellington in 1841. He was also the officer in command of the Hutt Militia. Formerly of H.M. Dragoon Guards, ‘Blues’. Designer of Fort Richmond (modelled on the designs of American frontier forts) in the Hutt Valley and resident of Hutt Valley, 1840s. Was the husband of Elizabeth Compton (died 1888), widow of Rev H W Dunni. Father of Mrs Grace Perham. Later moved to Lyttelton.
- Evening post, 17 Sep 1888, p2