Categories
Woburn, Lower Hutt

Ludlam Crescent

Named after Alfred Ludlam, a landowner in Woburn in 1845. Ludlam’s Gardens eventually became McNab’s then Bellevue. He was a local member of the Wellington Provincial Council 1853-61, 1865-76, General Assembly 1853-56, 1866-70, and ‘father” of the Wellington Botanic Garden. He had purchased the WaiwhetÅ« farm from fellow pioneer Francis Molesworth in the mid-1840s, calling […]

Categories
Hutt Central, Lower Hutt

Bellevue Road

This road led to Bellevue Gardens Hotel on Woburn Road. Thanks to Hutt City Libraries for the following information. The current hotel was built in 1917. The site was part of Bellevue Gardens. The hotel replaced a larger one that was set back from Woburn Road, which was originally known as Waiwhetu or Waiwetu Road. […]