“Te Ara o” means “Pathway Of” in Te Reo Maori. Motutawa Pa was previously located in the grounds of Avalon Park. This pa belonged to the Ngati Tama hapu of Ngati Awa. Ngati Tama left the area in 1846 after an agreement with Governor George Grey promised them new reserves further up the Hutt Valley.
The land was then occupied by settlers such as Thomas Mason, whose famous gardens were located here.
The name was selected by Hutt City Council’s Regulatory Committee on the 12th May 2020. This development was done by Rudy van Baarle and the name van Baarle Place was also considered, after his father Willem van Baarle.