Liverton Road in Kelson derives its name from John Longman Liverton, a significant landowner in the region. Born in 1816, John Liverton’s legacy is intricately tied to this locale, with his ownership of the land marking a notable chapter in its history.
His life came to an end on 17 August 1875, and he was laid to rest at Christ Church cemetery in nearby Taitā. Following the death of his wife, Mary-Ann Liverton, on 2 September 1901, the land underwent a significant change. In February 1901, it was subdivided, paving the way for the development of the area as we know it today.