Anson Grove in Naenae was named after Dr. George Edward Anson, who lived in Anson House located in nearby Trinity Avenue. Anson House was a significant historical building and is one of the last original bay villas in Lower Hutt.
Dr. Anson was a prominent figure in the medical and publishing industries in New Zealand. He served as the chief physician for the Australian Mutual Provident Society and later as the chairman of directors for The Dominion newspaper. He took ownership of Anson House in 1906.