Kauamo was the wife of Joseph Robinson, who had been in NZ since 1823. Together this couple lived and raised a family in Waiwhetu. Joe Robinson had a well-established shipbuilding business on the Hutt River near the Waiwhetu Pa. It is recorded that William Wakefield was somewhat surprised to find an Englishman already living here […]
Named after Wi Hapi Pakau, the Te Ati Awa Chief. He belonged to Ngati Te Whiti and Te Matehou hapu of Te Ati Awa. He was born in 1797 and died 22 April 1897. Wi Hapi Pakau is buried at Owhiti Urupa, Seaview. Wi Hapi Pākau fought at the defence of Otaka in 1832 against […]
Sir William Fitzherbert was a Hutt member on the Wellington Provincial Council from 1859 to 1865 and was also a member of the House of Representatives for Hutt from 1858 – 1879. After arriving in New Zealand they settled in Wellington. They later moved to Willow Bank a house in Lower Hutt and entertained parliamentarians there […]
Robert Stokes was one of the original survey party which arrived on the “Cuba” ship on 3 January 1840. He worked about Port Nicholson for some months before surveying further afield. He later took a prominent part in local and national affairs. Further Information He was born in England about 1810 and trained as a […]
Previously named Cottle’s Lane. John and Marion Walters and five children arrived in the “Slains Castle” in 1841 and lived in the area.
Named after Alfred Ludlam, a landowner in Woburn in 1845. Ludlam’s Gardens eventually became McNab’s then Bellevue. He was a local member of the Wellington Provincial Council 1853-61, 1865-76, General Assembly 1853-56, 1866-70, and ‘father” of the Wellington Botanic Garden. He had purchased the Waiwhetū farm from fellow pioneer Francis Molesworth in the mid-1840s, calling […]
Named after Thomas Mason (1818-1903) usually known as “Quaker” Mason, who was an early resident and leading horticulturist. He arrived from Gravesend on the New Zealand Company ship Olympus with his wife Jane. Thomas Mason bought a section in Taitā, where, except for one short interval, the Masons lived for the rest of their lives, bringing up […]
This road led to Bellevue Gardens Hotel on Woburn Road. Thanks to Hutt City Libraries for the following information. The current hotel was built in 1917. The site was part of Bellevue Gardens. The hotel replaced a larger one that was set back from Woburn Road, which was originally known as Waiwhetu or Waiwetu Road. […]
Formerly known as Magnolia Crescent in the Mason’s Gardens estate, the name Avalon Crescent was given by subdivider James Stellin in his Avalon Park subdivision. His daughter.born a few years earlier had been named Beatrice Avalon Hart Stellin.
Named after James Kingston Stellin, born 1922, only son of Beatrice Hart and James Stellin. He was a small boy when this subdivision took place. The name has royal connotations and in the tenth century several Anglo-Saxon kings were crowned at Kingston-on-Thames. The former royal palace of Hampton Court is nearby. James Stellin was a […]