Buick Street is likely named after D. Buick who owned 5 1/4 acres of land in Petone in 1852. In September, 1866, a framed group photograph of the band, as reproduced on the next page, was presented to Mr. Valentine, containing the following inscription:— “Presented to Mr. N. Valentine.by the inhabitants of the Hutt District […]
Edwin Jackson arrived in New Zealand in 1857 and settled in Petone in 1868. He set up in business as a farmer and bricklayer. He eventually acquired a substantial block of land in the town which he subsequently subdivided with unsurveyed rights of way, which is the reason why Jackson Street is so crooked in […]
Named after Martha Brewin Moody nee Turnell. Hutt City Council decided on the new name on the 10th December 2019 (Report no: HCC2019/1(2)/234) The developer requested the name be considered after the developer’s client’s great-great-grandmother Matha Turnell. Martha was born on 28th Sept 1822 in Sheffield Yorkshire UK, was the youngest daughter of seven siblings. […]
Translates as the “Path of Paetutu”. This street is located near the former site of the Paetutu Pā. The new street name was required following the subdivision of 429 Jackson Street, Petone. The name was adopted by the Hutt City Council on the 17 September 2019 , so may not appear on maps yet.
Alice was the daughter of William A. Fitzherbert, Lower Hutt’s first Mayor, and the granddaughter of Sir William Fitzherbert M.P. She married Professor von Zedlitz. She gave her name to Alicetown.
William Knight, his wife Mary Ann, nee Penrose, and family arrived in the ”Duke of Roxburgh” February 1840. They owned land in what is now Penrose Street and Knights Road.
Francis Henry Dillon Bell, son of the Hon. Sir Francis Dillon Bell, was a barrister and solicitor from 1873. He was Mayor of Wellington 1891-93 and an M.P. in 1893. He had a summer home at Lowry Bay (called Taumaru) and was active in community and sporting life. He was chairman of the Hutt Park […]
Named after Maraenuku pā, which was built nearby in 1842. No trace of it remains. It was built by Taringa Kuri (Te Kāeaea) to assert the Ngāti Tama iwi’s claim to the land. For its part, the New Zealand Company claimed to have purchased the land from Te Ātiawa. The pā was destroyed by British […]
Walter Dyer, C.B.E., died in 1965. He was chairman of the Wellington Education Board 1934-46 and was for nine years a member of the Hutt County Council.