Categories
Epuni, Lower Hutt

Mitchell Street

Named after John Mitchell, a Borough and City Councillor from 1919-44. He was chairman of the Parks and Reserves Committee for many years and also Deputy Mayor. He lived at ”Casa Loma” in Melling in 1932.

Categories
Avalon, Lower Hutt

Stellin Street

Named after James Stellin (c.1881-1964), of Melling, was director of a real estate and valuing agency. He was responsible for the subdivision and naming of Avalon (Mason’s Gardens) and Kingston Park areas. A Gallipoli veteran, he built his splendid residence ”Casa Loma” in Melling, completing it in 1911. Nearby Kingston Street is named after his […]

Categories
Taitā, Lower Hutt

Hunter Street

George Hunter held the New Zealand Company office of Storekeeper General. He opened thè first general store in the settlement of Britannia in 1840, in partnership with K. Bethune. George Hunter was the first Mayor of Wellington in 1842. His son, also George Hunter (1821-80), owned 7 acres in the Hutt in 1858. Robert Hunter […]

Categories
Hutt Central, Lower Hutt

Myrtle Street

The first development was surveyed for Thomas Burt junior, in 1903 and was known as Bloomfield Road until about 1908 when it was named Myrtle. Who was Myrtle? An early former resident of the street thought it was named after a wife of a councillor of the day. No traceable councillor had a wife named […]

Categories
Hutt Central, Lower Hutt

Bloomfield Terrace

Peter Laing’s house, on the corner of Bloomfield Terrace and Laings Road, was named ”Bloomfield”. It was built in 1848 for Capt. Daniell. The large Norfolk Island pine in the Salvation Army grounds opposite is a relic of Laing’s Gardens. There are several ”Bloomfields” in Scotland, Peter Laing’s country of birth.

Categories
Hutt Central, Lower Hutt

Laings Road

Named after Peter Laing, a baker and pastrycook, who bought Captain Daniell’s house which stood at the corner of Bloomfield Terrace and Laings Road.

Categories
Alicetown, Lower Hutt

Laery Street

In 1897 Robert L. Laery, a Wellington merchant, bought seven acres which was former Fitzherbert land. It was bounded by Parliament, Bridge, Herbert Streets and Main Road (Railway Avenue). After his death in 1902 it was subdivided into 39 lots, Laery Street running through the middle of it.

Categories
Alicetown, Lower Hutt

Rush Grove

Named after Richard Rush who was murdered with a tomahawk while working on his land (near Station Village) on 15th June 1846, the day before the attacks at Boulcott Farm. ”Rush’s Corner” was opposite the Valley Inn on the corner of Railway Avenue and Marsden Street. Richard Rush arrived in Wellington around 1840 after serving […]

Categories
Hutt Central, Lower Hutt

Melling Road

Named by Richard John Seddon after his boss in an iron factory in Lancashire, William Melling. Seddon also named Normandale.

Categories
Naenae, Lower Hutt

Seddon Street

Richard John Seddon was Prime Minister 1893-1906. The street was prominent in the Waddington settlement in 1918. NZ History Biography  Richard Seddon’s nickname, ‘King Dick’, says it all. Our longest-serving and most famous leader not only led the government, many argued he was the government. For 13 years he completely dominated politics. Like Julius Vogel, […]